Monday, December 12, 2011

Voices

I read about health, fitness and weight loss - a lot.  The more I study, the more I'm convinced that there is  great confusion about what to do.  To muddy up the waters, many "experts" are trying to sell us something.  It's no wonder people get frustrated and head for the nearest drive-thru!  After five years of helping people lose weight and having successfully maintained a 65 pound weight loss myself, I've learned a few things from experience.  Over the next few posts I'll share what I've found it takes to lose weight and more importantly have a healthy lifestyle.

I'll start with sugar.  There are voices out there saying that sugar is poison and the root of all our obesity issues.  We all know that sugar is not that great for our bodies but we also know that it makes treats taste delicious.  When we discuss a healthy lifestyle it includes some celebrations and sweet treats are a great way to celebrate.  It seems unrealistic to suggest that we will never have another cookie, brownie or piece of pie - that would leave no reason to live!  Just kidding, but many wonderful memories include food and I'm not willing to give that up.   The key is to limit sugar.

Here are a few suggestions:

1.  Keep it out of your environment except for planned special occasions.
2.  Limit portions - remove leftovers (see number 1)
3.  Only eat things you love - be discerning in your choices.
4.  Savour every bite - treats gobbled down with guilt are no treat at all.

Add your own experience and you'll have a plan that will allow you to enjoy treats and maintain a healthy lifestyle.  Christmastime is a great time to practice your plan to manage sugar in a new way.  You decide what works for you - your voice is the only one that matters.

1 comment:

  1. Sugar can be the number one culprit to sabbatoge. It tis the season for lots of sugar. I have been making sugar cookies, fudge and biscotti for the holidays. I stash it in the freezer, for me it is "out of sight, out of mind". For those of you that this doesn't work for, don't make your goodies till the last minute and then send it on its way ! My mantra that I live by is "THE FIRST BITE TASTE LIKE THE LAST BITE". (so why eat the whole thing...taste and be done).

    ReplyDelete